Thursday 17 March 2011

Evaluation. Question 7.

7. Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

When filming for my prelim task I learnt aspects that I could have improved on. So when it came to filming for my actual featured film, I would know how to go about getting the perfect shot.  

Filming aspects that I could have improved on in my prelim:

  1. When filming, make sure nothing is in the way of the camera’s lens e.g. fingers held over the lens. On the set of real productions the sentence ‘check the gate’ is used by the director, to check that nothing is disrupting the camera’s lens.
  2. Include some aspects of audio in editing. Such as the creaking of a door opening. This increases the tension and professionalism of the film.  
  3. Don’t give away the identity of the victim/characters of the film quickly, so this leaves an aspect of mystery with the audience.
  4. Make sure the location you are filming is deserted. This is so no passers by are accidently in your shot.
  5.    Use better actors in my project, so they can play a character well, and are more confident and skilled.
  6. When editing cut clips sharper. Also make sure that all clips correlate with one another, in the correct order.
  7. Make sure that everyone is out of the shot when filming. This includes directors etc.

How I improved on all these aspects in my featured film:

  1. By checking my footage every half an hour on the digital camera I filmed on, I could see if I needed to retake any footage that may have been corrupted.
  2. I have included digetic audio in my film opening such as for the alarm clocks and the school bell ringing.
  3.  The main female character wears an eye mask which covers most of her face, in the first scene to my film. The lighting for the male characters first scene is quite dark, which darkens the features of his face. These aspects add narrative enigma to the opening scenes of my film.
  4.  I filmed mostly in two different houses for my film and so accidently including the general public in the background was not a problem. When filming in the school it wouldn’t be a problem if I had school children in the background as it would just add to verisimilitude of my project actually being filmed in a real school environment.
  5. Both of the main actors in my film took A-level drama, and so are both very confident in their roles.
  6. I spent lengths of time on iMovie changing and perfecting the running order of my clips so that all the scenes flowed well, and looked in the correct order.
  7. I fully cleared the locations and settings I wanted for the scenes that would appear in my project. So that there was nothing in the way of my shot.

  Finger infront of the lens.

Leg in shot

Back of persons head in shot


I have learnt how to use iMovie to a more effective level, by learning how to use all the tools involved in editing a clip. These include splitting the clip to extract the footage that you want to use. Using transitions to improve on the flow of my film opening, and adding special effects and using the fade transitions to signify that time has passed. I have also used sound effects in the iMovie media section to add digetic sound to my film opening. Such as the alarm and school bell ringing.
Only having an hour to film a short film is difficult as you have to get all the shots and footage you need in the hour. By being so rushed for time I believe that I have learned to manage my filming time more effectively. I have learned that when preparing to film a scene to get started as quickly as possible. Also to film a variety of shots, even if you think you won’t use them. Just in case a shot isn’t as effective as you’d expected it to be. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please ensure your comments are appropriate.